Saturday, November 20, 2010

Food

Once home, we set to work on using up and enjoying Polyface's food to the fullest.

We roasted the chicken with herbs soon after we were home. Once you taste locally grown, free range chicken, you can't go back. You'll realize how tough the meat is that you've been eating, and how, over time, the texture, composition, and color of your food has changed with industry.

Polyface eggs. You crack them, and it's like a completely new color of yellow has hit your eyes! I put some Polyface eggs next to some store bought ones, and the color and texture contrast is astounding.

We used the ground beef for burgers for dinner with some special friends (Nathan and Sarah Friend), the sausage for spaghetti and meatballs, and just had rabbit stew the other day.

I've spent a lot of time thinking about what I can do to further people's awareness of what they're eating. I know that I can't change people's choices. I do want to present them with information, and then let them make their own decision.

I keep thinking, though, about Joel's last words to us as we left. He said “We'll send you something”. I don't know if that means a Christmas card, I don't know if that means, money, or if it means steak!
More than anything, Teresa and Joel sent us home with encouragement, information about our food system, and welcome hearts I have never experienced before.

I would like to read more audio books. I have a place to do it from home! I just don't have any material or customers!

I would like to further the local food movement. I hope I have done so by voicing this audio book and making it more accessible to others. I'm not sure how to proceed from here.

Several folks have asked about where/when they can purchase the audio book. I'm going to write Joel an email, and check on his progress. I think he leaves for Australia and New Zealand soon for the Regenerative Agriculture Workshop Series, so I don't know when I'll hear. Once I write to him, I'll post the letter here, as well as the response with additional information.

Don't think that this blog ends now. Things changed a lot with one simple idea, and one simple email I sent a few months ago. Hang in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment